Saturday 4 September 2010

Becoming a Runner

I want to be a Runner. I don't want just to run here and there, but I want to become one of those people who "just need" to run. One of those runners who travel with their running shoes, so they can squeeze a run in no matter where they are. I want to look like a runner with strong, lean legs. I want to find a group of women who love running like I do and train together. I want to get stronger and faster and be example to my kids about being healthy and active.

My running career isn't too impressive.
I have only done two official races: a half marathon and the Ragnar relay.
My speed isn't anything to brag about. I average a 8:30 minute/mile pace.
I want to run a marathon, but I'm scared of the training and the mental and physical exhaustion.

But if there is one thing I want to cross off my bucket list, it is running a marathon (and giving birth without any medications). Both are physically, emotionally and mentally taxing and painful, yet I feel like I am strong enough to do them.

I love the challenge of running. The fact that once I start going and run further and further away from my house or car, I know I have to have the mental toughness to come back and finish the run. I love the runs when I can feel my legs working hard, yet I am not tired. I love the time I get to spend with my thoughts as my feet keep hitting the road and my arms keep pumping. I even love the excessive amount of sweating I am blessed with because it is a reminder than I am pushing myself to the limit.

As far as I can remember, I have only once "quit" one of my runs. I was doing a hill work out in Oro Valley and it was way too hot because I have a tendency to run too late in the day. My thighs were chafing against each other, I wasn't able to keep up with my goal pace, I probably had a mild sunburn and I just didn't have "it" to finish the run. So Troy rode his bike back to our car and picked me up. I was disappointed, but happy to be sitting in the car rather than

Of course, there are plenty of runs that haven't happened. I have planned for them and maybe even prepared for them and then decided to sleep in or just didn't want it bad enough that day. I want to become a runner who doesn't let a bad attitude to keep me away from the roads.

I have some big dreams for running and goals I want to accomplish, but for now, I will keep growing my belly and running 12 minute miles. I will read running blogs about other moms and women who find joy in running and their accomplishments.

Hopefully by March, I can fit into my new running skirt, which I don't want to stretch out while being pregnant, and I will get my endurance and body back and add to my strength and speed.

Before then, I have to see if I have what it takes to finish the race of delivering a baby without an epidural...



6 comments:

Bridget said...

I was just thinking the same thing on a run the other day - I love working hard and the satisfaction of not quitting! I'm looking forward to the new blog.

Heather said...

Hey, if I can do it without an epidural, you can too! I can't wait for life to get into a nice even pace so we can hang out a lot more! I miss that!

Jesse and Camry said...

While I do share your desire to give birth without medication... I have no desire to run a marathon. I am partial to my toenails, and my 12 minute mile :) Props to you for your ambition.

Unknown said...

You ARE a pro runner, hard to the core and you have amazing lean sculpted legs ;)

Unknown said...

Oh, and I find writing my thoughts down incredibly therapeutic as well, especially when something is weighing heavily on my mind. You are an amazing mom, and watching you I can imagine what your mother was like.

Anonymous said...

Read Ina May's Guide to Childbirth